- This assignment requires you to produce four drawings. Each drawing should demonstrate time and effort with mark making.
- Complete two drawings for homework and the other two in class. By the end of class, you will have four complete drawings. See below.
- Select two of the four drawings below for homework. See below.
- Complete the remaining two drawings in class.
- Begin the drawing by covering the entire paper surface with the required material(s).
- Alternate between laying down charcoal/pastel and erasing. You may alternate as many times as you want. You can also focus on certain areas.
- Strive to create a surface that has been "worked".
- Use the eraser as a drawing tool.
- Do not add any other materials. Use only the materials listed for each drawing (see below).
- While working, focus on the actions and concepts associated with "give and take".
- Spend at least 1 hour making marks on the surface. Make sure to time yourself. A time card needs to accompany each drawing. Time does not have to be a continuous hour. You can work in time intervals if needed.
- I have a few images of drawings made utilizing an eraser here on the blog. Under the category "Erase".
- 4 pieces of good quality paper that measure approx. 21" x 12" each. Cut paper from paper roll or use another good quality paper of your choice.
- Yarka Willow Charcoal
- Rembrandt Black Pastel
- White plastic eraser (Mars white plastic eraser does the best job. However, you can use whatever eraser(s) you want. See below for an eraser guide).
- Option - paper towels and dry, clean brushes (so you can crush charcoals/pastel and brush on).
Using only Yarka Willow Charcoal and a white, plastic eraser. Begin the drawing by covering the entire paper surface with the willow charcoal.
Using only Rembrandt Black Pastel and a white plastic, eraser. Begin the drawing by covering the entire paper surface with Rembrandt black pastel.
Using both Yarka Willow Charcoal AND Rembrandt Black Pastel and white, plastic eraser. Begin the drawing by covering the entire paper surface with the willow charcoal and Rembrandt black pastel.
Create your own "erase" assignment. Materials your choice.
Link here for more info.
Electric Erasers work well on vine charcoal.
What to put on the blog:
1. At least two professional images of each drawing.
2. At least one detail image of each drawing.
3. "Label" info for each drawing: title, medium, size (length" x width"). If your drawing has dimension on the surface your measurements will be length x width x depth.
4. Artist statement for each drawing or one statement for all four drawings.